Resources (listed in alphabetical order)


  • DHS may help pay for child care arrangements that help ensure the well-being and safety of your child. Payments are available for full and part-time care and for before and after school while you work or attend approved school/training. More information can be found here.




  • Free and confidental support and services for victims of domestic violence are available via the city of Chicago Domestic Violence Help Line: 877.863.6338.
  • CAWC provides a shelter for adults and children, counseling, advocacy, and a 24-hour hotline for people affected by domestic violence. 773.278.4566



  • The Greater Chicago Food Depository provides free food, diapers and other items throughout the city of Chicago. Find a food program in your area by clicking here.
  • If you’re homebound or in quarantine because you have COVID-19 symptoms, tested positive, or were exposed to someone sick with COVID-19  and in need of emergency food, call 3-1-1 to connect with services available through the Greater Food Depository, Senior Services and Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD).
  • Adults over 60 can contact the Department of Family and Support Services’ call center at 312-746-4016 (Monday through Friday) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for the Meals on Wheels Program and you will receive a weekly meal delivery of six meals to their home. Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) senior residents 60 and over can also contact CHA’s emergency services.



  • Illinois Department of Human Services pays the funeral and burial expenses of a person who received government assistance at the time of death. More information on this program can be found here.
  • Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020. Application information can be found here.


The Chicago Furniture Bank works with over 400 social service agencies throughout Chicagoland that provide supportive services to their clients. Clients of these agencies can are able to handpick an entire home’s worth of furnishings for free.


The MCRSRP program of Chicago provides 24/7 response to non, life-threatening requests for residents experiencing homelessness and crisis – including connecting clients to homeless shelters and wraparound services for behavioral health, substance abuse, domestic violence and more. Residents should call 311 for shelter requests, well-being checks and transportation to cooling or warming centers.

How It Works

  1. A resident calls 311 to request shelter or other homeless services.
  2. The Salvation Army responds to the request and matches the resident with an available shelter bed and/or linkage to a wraparound service.
  3. The Salvation Army provides pick-up and drop-off transportation from where the resident is to the shelter bed location.

24/7 Response

Homeless services available through the Mobile Crisis Response and Shelter Referral Program (MCRSRP) are available 24/7/365, including Holidays. Residents must call 311 to request service. 

 If you reside in Suburban Cook County, call 1.877.426.6515 for help with basic needs.



  • Open enrollment for the Emergency Heating Repair Program runs from November 1 thru April 1. Homeowners can call the Department of Housing’s customer servuce line at 312.744.3653 for more information.



  • Legal Aid Chicago provides free civil legal services to people living in poverty in Cook County.  All clients must be registered by telephone and screened for eligibility through their Client Screening Unit at 312-341-1070.



  • The Mortgage Assistance Program, made possible by the City of Chicago, provides assistance to low-to moderate-income Chicago homeowners who have suffered an economic impact due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are having difficulty paying their mortgage. Learn more here.


  • WIC (Women, Infants, Children) offers nutrition assistance to eligible pregnant and post-partum women and children to the age of five. Some locations even offer phone service and curbside pickup. For WIC assistance, contact the Chicago Department of Public Health at 312-747-9140.
  • New Moms provides the following services:
    • HomesNew Moms’ supportive housing portfolio offers 40 apartments of transitional housing for moms under 25 years old and kids in their Transformation Center headquarters in Chicago, and 18 apartments of permanent supportive housing in their Clare Place residence in our Oak Park Center.
    • JobsNew Moms’ best-practice 16-week paid job training program blends classroom and hands-on job experience at their social enterprise candle company.
    • FamiliesNew Moms partners with pregnant and parenting young women living in the community through the Parents as Teachers model and curriculum, ensuring moms become their children’s first, best teachers. Pregnant women can also partner with our doulas and access reproductive health education and prenatal support.


  • The State of Illinois, Cook County, and City of Chicago have new emergency rental assistance programs to support households affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. CLICK HERE for an overview on all available assistance programs and relevant program dates.
  • To learn more about your rights as a tenant, you can call the Chicago’s Department of Housing – Rents Right Information Line at 312-742-RENT (312-742-7368) or visit here.
  • If you’re a Chicago Tenant that needs help with a housing issue like lockouts or evictions, you can also contact Rentervention, a program of Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing. To get started, tenants can call 312-347-7600, visit or text “hi” to 866-7RENTER (866-773-6837) to start a conversation with Renny, Rentervention’s bot.


  • Financial support is available to eligible low-income households in Illinois who need help paying their heating and electric bills. CLICK HERE for more information from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. Chicago residents can reach out to directly to  CEDA to APPLY for Gas and Electric Assistance through the LIHEAP program.